There seems to be a compatibility issue between the vSpere 4.0 client and Windows 7. The client will not run and through an error.
So there is a work around for this which I found online. I tested it and it works fine on my 64-bit Windows 7 box.
- Copy the file system.dll from the %systemroot%\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727 folder of a Windows XP installation which has .NET 3.5 SP1 installed to a temporary area
- On your Windows 7 client, move to the C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\Infrastructure\Virtual Infrastructure Client\Launcher\ folder if you’re running 64-bit or C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\Virtual Infrastructure Client\Launcher\ if running 32-bit
- Create a new sub folder name LibXP and copy in the system.dll file
- Now open the VpxClient.exe.config file in the Launcher folder in a text editor. Add the section below to the file (don’t duplicate the </configuration> part)
<runtime> <developmentMode developerInstallation="true"/> </runtime> </configuration>
- Create a file, vpxclientwin7.cmd, in the Launcher folder with the following content. Note I’m running 64-bit. If you are 32-bit replace ProgramFiles(x86) with ProgramFiles.
SET DEVPATH=%ProgramFiles(x86)%\VMware\Infrastructure\Virtual Infrastructure Client\Launcher\LibXP "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\VMware\Infrastructure\Virtual Infrastructure Client\Launcher\VpxClient.exe"
You can now start the Vpx client by running this file
I can now run under Windows 7, as shown here. Note that this is a workaround and shouldn’t be considered a long-term solution.